Next week in New Orleans promises to be a gold mine of professional development opportunities for career services and recruiting professionals. Keynotes, concurrent sessions, affinity groups, hot topic huddles, dinner with colleagues, networking…
Before You Go
- Set up your conference itinerary and use your smartphone or tablet to be your daily guide. The free conference app offers information on all sessions, plus it links you to NACE’s social media so you can get updates and reminders for conference activities. You’ll find a map of NACE’s space to help you find session rooms. And session evaluations can be completed within the app. To download this app, go to your device’s app store and search for NACE18.
- Join the #NACE18 Twitter stream. Follow the action at the conference and get reminders of special events. Share your thoughts and ideas with your colleagues.
- Share the conference with your colleagues and staff: NACE will Facebook Live the following sessions (all central daylight time):
- How to Build Best-in-Class Internship Programs, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- First-Destination Surveys: Best Practices, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
- To House or Not to House, That Is the Question, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- The Future of We (Introduction) 10:30 a.m.
- Public Policy Update 1:30-2:30 p.m.
What to Wear
- Business casual is recommended for the event. Average temperatures in New Orleans in June: high 89.5; low 75.3. (Note: Bring a light jacket or sweater: session rooms may be chilly.)
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring an umbrella. Hurricane season has just begun. (If it’s raining, you can use the Riverwalk Mall, adjacent to the Hilton and the Convention Center.)
- Wear your badge: it is your ticket to getting into sessions.
New This Year
- Welcome to NOLA! Staff from Tulane University will be at booth 404 in the Hilton’s Grand Ballroom from 2 – 6 p.m. Tuesday handing out walking and city guides.
- Conference Navigation 101 at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, in Great Hall B at the Convention Center, will offer tips on understanding session tracks, using the mobile app, and staying connected with new colleagues.
- Dine with your colleagues. Make reservations for dinner at one of New Orleans’ iconic restaurants on Wednesday and Thursday at Booth 404.
- Join an Affinity Group and network with colleagues with the same affiliation or interests. Groups meet Wednesday, 4:45 – 5:30 p.m. (See program for locations.)
- Meet NACE leaders in the Leadership Lounge—current and former NACE Board members, committee chairs, and NACE Fellows on Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., in the Magazine Room at the Hilton.
Look for Signs to Find the Gender Neutral Restrooms
- At the Hilton, the bathroom outside the Eglington Winton room on the second floor will be designated gender neutral.
- At the Conference Center, the Great Hall restroom on the first floor will be gender neutral. The second floor restroom near meeting rooms 206/207 will be gender neutral.
Who’s Who at the Conference
- Career services professionals wear blue badges; university relations and recruiters, red; business affiliates, purple; expo hall representatives, green, and NACE staff, black.
- NACE staff is easily identifiable by the color of their shirts.
- Tuesday: Green
- Wednesday: Pink/Black
- Thursday: Purple
- Friday: Turquoise
Other Tips for the Conference
- Registration opens Tuesday, June 5, at noon at the NACE Conference & Expo registration desk at the Hilton. Registration opens at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. An information desk will be open from 7:30 a.m. to noon on Friday.
- Don’t leave your room without these things: Room key, electronic device with the NACE18 app and your schedule loaded, and conference badge (you can’t get into any sessions or events without it).
- Luggage storage will be available Friday morning at the Hilton (Prince of Wales room on the second floor) and at the Convention Center (First floor, outside the Great Hall A near the escalators).
After the Conference
- Complete evaluations for sessions and the full conference. Use the evaluation forms in the NACE18 app.
- Make plans for next year! NACE19 will be held June 3-6, in Orlando, FL.
Hashtags for Affinity Groups: (Use both hashtags to connect with your colleagues)